First day on the 'job' solo. Thinking over today's tasks, I have come to the conclusion that I quite like the work. Maybe it's being alone, with the land and animals, and the wind. I don't know if it's the country or not, but the sound of the wind through the trees is so reassuring-- of everything.
I can say I did have more than a handful of moments when I had to laugh at the things I found myself doing, or was given to do. Here's a quick run-down of Kolie's tasks to be minded today and probably for the rest of the week:
1. Weed. Weed. Weed. Weed the garden, inside and out of the tunnelhouse. Weed the waaay overly grown retaining wall behind the house, made up of about 5 rows of tires, stretching a length of apprx. 30 yards, and lest I forget, each tire has some sort of herb or shrub planted in a nice mix of soil and clay:1 hour-10% done.
2. Rake the pine needles along the fence of the property line and toss over to neighbors side-- what? Yes, rake the pine needles on the distant paddock, and toss over the fence to the neighbors side: 1 hour- 95% done.
3. Feed and brush the horses... easy enough-- right, as long as they're not about to stampede you in a mad dash for their feeding buckets, whilst in the midst of a sudden down-pour: 15 minutes of trying to remember which horse is which. 100% done.
4. Water plants. Due to the sudden down-pour, no physical watering done by Kolie needed. 100% done.
5. Do Laundry, hang washed on line. Easy enough, as long as the wind is down and not blowing your linens across the paddock. If I were 2 inches shorter, hanging things on the line would probably be my most difficult task of the day. 100% done.
6. If it rains, inside chores: sweep and mop floors. really? yes, sweep and mop the overly dusty floors, that I believe have a permanent look of, well, looking dirty. (the house is still in the making) 100% done- for the most part.
~dishes, clean cob webs from corners of ceiling, feed cat/dog.
7. The grand finale: Take things of shelves in store room, dust/ organize. Move shelves, and move top-loading ice box, and spare refrigerator-- mind you, you may have to remove contents of both freezer and refrigerator before rearanging them where shelves onces were.--- WHAT????!!!! You've GOT to be KIDDING ME. 0% done.
Lesson's learned: hard work can be fun for the most part, as long as you find humor in it. Pulled weeds and rubber gardening gloves still won't protect you from an electrical fence. horses will try to eat your hair, the fluffy tassle atop your beanie, and even their own hair off their brush. Calendula petals taste like carrots.
I think I was meant to do this sort of work, it was only a matter of time 'til it found me... I guess I've always been a horsegirl at heart.
Tomorrow's forcast: work, early afternoon sun, mid afternoon rain, evening snow? I'll let you know if Frosty comes to town.
See you all tomorrow~ Love,
Koko
23 September 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment